Monday 27 April 2015

A Trekkie Graduate!!

Good Monday morning to you :)
First of all I'd just like to say that I'm not a staunch Trekkie and I'll apologise now for putting the well-known theme music into your mind so you'll be whistling it all day!!! :)

Edited to add: well it just goes to show that I'm not a fan at all as I got the wrong movie...whoops ;) It's Star Wars !!! Apologies folks :) thanks to Ruthich for pointing it out in the comments :)

I've used two stamps set from Neat & Tangled called Time Warp and A Long Time Ago to make a card ready for Graduation season.... we have quite a few months yet but I just wanted to have a play with watercolours and make a space scene :)

 
As I said before, I'm not a fan at all but those iconic titles disappearing into the distance are so easily recognisable.... and this set covers birthdays, retirement and graduation... not to mention being perfect for the guys in your life :)
 
I started by clear embossing the Time Warp onto watercolour card and then masking around the edge of the rectangle with Frog Tape. I find Frog Tape the best for this job as it doesn't allow the watercolour to soak underneath :)
I used a mixture of blues and black, remembering to keep the darker colours towards the outside so they don't overpower your sky. When you're happy with it and it's dry to the touch you can place the piece between a folded sheet of plain paper and run a cool iron (no steam) over it to take the clear embossing powder off the dashed time warp lines. This means you can emboss the sentiments easily and it helps to dry and flatten your watercolour card too :)
 

I do recommend that before you stamp the sentiment you test to see if the card is dry. To do this, apply some clear embossing powder to the watercolour piece and tip it off again to see if the powder slips away easily, if it sticks to the surface you'll need to brush it back into the container and let the card dry some more.

I trimmed the piece down, adhered it to a grey card blank and added a white frame that's raised on foam pads... I kept it clean and simple so the time warp was the focus of the card :)

Time Warp A Long Time Ago

Now for my usual Monday reminder about the Paper Smooches Sparks Challenge, this week we have a sketch for you and here's my take on it using Woofers and Tweeters along with a different way to use the Big Blooms die!!

 
Thanks for stopping by :)
Jenny x

 

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Love it!! Saw this and was sorely tempted... But hate to tell you, it's not Star Trek, it's from Star Wars... Very appropriate with the new film out in December!

Keren Baker said...

Gorgeous! Love that watercoloured background!

Karen Petitt said...

I love this! So clever, my OH and brother would love these! It is Star Wars and yep just in time for the new movie too Karen x

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Love your galaxy card, your background is amazing!!! I have that set, too - I did not even realize it had that sentiment on it - so cool to use it for graduation!