Sunday 3 August 2014

Persian Carpets

I love most things about Persia - the food, the art and in particular the carpets so I was very excited about the new Altenew stamp set Persian Motifs (well I'm excited that we have ALL the Altenew stamps and was spoilt for choice of which to play with first but this one won!)


I took just one of the images from the set and went about stamping up my own carpet design, embossing each one with a teal embossing powder.  Once I'd finished I just used runny watercolour paint to flood each flower with blue, making some areas wetter than others so they would dry darker.  I filled in the leaves and stems in the same way with a teal colour and then left it to dry.  I used the same technique on the background with a pinky-red as I love the bold colours in Persian carpets.

For the sentiment I went for Super Script, one of their gorgeous sentiment sets, and stamped and embossed it onto a vellum strip so you can still see the design underneath.  As fixing vellum can be difficult when you don't have much space to hide the glue, I have a little trick - when doing panels like this, I score them and fold the edges around the back and then a few dots of glue behind the letters are enough to hold it flat ;-)   I added a strip of gold washi to the base card to balance the design and draw your eye to the gold.

If you got the newsletter yesterday and wanted the new Neat and Tangled "A Long Time Ago" set but clicked the link and found it to be unavailable, it looks like there was an error in the link, as it is actually in stock.

This card would fit our new colour challenge too - don't forget to check it out and play along ;-)  http://makethedayspecialcards.blogspot.co.uk/p/challenges.html




1 comment:

Sarah G said...

Love the rich colours on your card and you can never go wrong with gold embossing on vellum :)