Saturday 5 September 2015

Colored Pencils on Black Card Stock

Hi there, fellow crafters! I hope you’re starting rested into your weekend, or that your weekend is at least beginning at a restful pace. Originally, I wanted to surprise you with a video, but new camera + cryptic settings kind of ruined the recording, so you'll have to make due with close up photos.

I was wondering how colored pencils like my Polychromos would hold up on black card stock – I know they are brilliant on kraft, but black? I almost expected the colors to be dull and never in my wildest dreams had I expected the brilliance I'd get. I used a white pencil as a “foundation” to lighten the base color a bit so it would show up even better against the black.


For this coloring, I didn't try to get a "blended" effect where colors would smoothly blend into each other. I wanted something more _organic_, as you can often see streaks of color on the petals of flowers. That's what I was going for and I think it worked out rather nicely.

I also used my Letterpress as a stamp positioning tool for the sentiment. When I use white pigment ink, I usually need to stamp multiple times to get even and solid color. I’m not great with lining up stamps, so I grabbed my Letterpress for that purpose. As you can see, it worked perfectly – you can see the fine print in the Altenew stamp and that is despite stamping it about four times. Perfect positioning!


Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed the project!

3 comments:

Tracey T said...

Wow! What a stunning card!

Craftychris said...

Wow! This is fab! So vibrant, I must try this - would never had expected such a cool result! xxx

barbara macaskill said...

WOW!! Fantabulous!! I am going to have to give this a try!! Thanks for the inspiration!