Monday 2 March 2015

A Super Birthday

It was my Brothers birthday yesterday and I was sooo happy to be able to use the new Avery Elle stamp set called Super for his card. 
I can't say we were the biggest comic fans when growing up but there's something about the bright halftone patterns that draw me in as well as the sketched line artwork... this new set from Avery Elle has got it spot on and has matching dies too :)


 I've used some paper-piecing for the sky and clouds ( I wish one of the stamp companies would come out with a decent sized half-tone background stamp). To extend the clouds I repeated the stamping across the paper and trimmed out. The skyline is stamped twice on patterned paper and cut out using the matching die...off-setting them adds to the comic sketch feel :)


You can see from this photo how the scene bows out from the card front for some dimension.
The searchlight is made from two layers of yellow vellum, the bottom layer having been cut into a circle to give shape to the beam. I found that the new Stick it adhesive sheets are invisible for adhering vellum.... I backed one of the vellum layers with a piece of stick it and cut the lightbeam out before turning the die 180° and running it back through the bigshot to cut the circle shape.


To personalise my card I used Lawn Fawn's Harrolds ABC's which I think is a very close match to the comic book font you commonly see :)
        Super  Super Elle-ment  Harold's ABC

I reckon this set would be great to mix with the tiny heroes from Mame Elephant and definitely a perfect backdrop for the hero in the Paper Smooches set called Super

Over at the Paper Smooches Sparks challenge blog its an Anything Goes Week so it would be great to see you playing along, go check out the DT inspiration and details of how to play :)

Jenny x

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I adore this, I love how you've used the dotty papers to look like old newsprint in comics, very clever :)