Sunday 15 March 2015

The Easter Bunny Came Early

I've been having lots of fun this week Avery Elle's Easter Blessings stamp set.  It is such fun to colour and much more versatile than you might first think!  Here's a little collection of what I've made with it ready for Easter.


First of all I made Easter decorations using some papier-mâché products I found on Amazon - an egg and a little egg shaped bud vase.   To stamp onto a curved object can be a bit tricky so I got around it by stamping on white tissue instead.  I simply gave the papier-mâché products a couple of coats of white acrylic paint and then applied my images onto them when dry.   The images were stamped and embossed in gold powder and coloured with pencils (make sure you give the tissue a good coat with a dust buddy first and stamp onto the non-shiny side of the tissue as that way the pencil blends better)  Once coloured trim around the image leaving just a thin margin and carefully apply a thin layer of pva type glue and stick the centre of the image down first and work out the edges taking care not to tear the tissue as you go.   The bud vase is flat but I used the same process for ease of colouring.  You can find eggs which split and can therefore be filled with chocolate or you could make lots of eggs and hang from a branch - you could even just select individual flowers or the bunnies to add to smaller eggs ;-)


In fact selecting the bunnies was just what I did to decorate the little basket full of eggs which was inspired by the video Lawn Fawn shared on their blog a few days ago, but I wanted to do a version too in case you'd missed it as its such a cute idea for Easter.

The major difference I made to the one they made is that I wanted mine to be stronger as my little eggs were too heavy for a paper version with very little glue holding it together so here is what I did differently....


Once I'd die cut my cupcake using the grassy cupcake die from green cardstock, I placed the die on top of the card and moved it up a couple of mm to get a curved line following the bottom of the shape and ran around the bottom of the die with an embossing tool to give me a fold line.  I then used sharp pointed scissors to trim up to the line every few mm to cut little tabs all the way along.  Once folded these give you much more surface to adhere your base to giving strength to the basket.

For a clean finish and also to add more strength I added a circle inside as well as outside - the stitched circle dies fit perfectly!


Add some fussy cut bunnies (or whatever takes your fancy - flowers for Mother's Day?) around the outside to decorate and a strip of card for a handle and you've got a pretty nifty little basket.

NEWS FROM THE STORE
  • Lawn Fawn restocks have finally shipped - they will be in store by Tuesday afternoon.
  • Mama Elephant's latest release has been delayed - I hope it will ship on the 20th if they get the stock they are hoping for by then (I got my order in on the 1st March but they are now very slow at turning orders around)
  • I am hopeful that Altenew will finally ship the order I've been waiting for almost 2 months for this week too.
  • Lil' Inker Designs will ship on Monday so should be in store by the end of the week.
  • We have a tiny amount of Hero Arts restocks coming this week - we managed to get another 3 of each of the ombre ink pads - I tried to order MANY more but Hero Arts didn't produce enough - they are expecting more stock at the end of March so I will get them back again in bigger quantities in April.  Sorry but that's the best I can do!
  • Neat and Tangled is en route.
  • Sugar Pea Designs, Waffle Flower Designs and Reverse Confetti will ship soon with new releases and restocks.
Catch you next week

Tara



1 comment:

Sarah G said...

Wow, these look amazing Tara! What a clever idea :)