Monday 23 March 2015

Coloured pencils

Good Monday morning to you :)
Today I've got a splash of rainbow colours to brighten your day and a fun technique to make your own background patterns....

I was totally inspired by a card in our monthly challenge gallery entered by the talented Kate who had used the Hero Arts cactus stamps to make a faux textile effect pattern... I love the retro feel and minimal colours to shade them :)

I chose a simple pencil shape from Paper Smooches Just a Note and made myself quite a few masks (you'll need something with all-over low tack for this job) I trimmed them out, not being too fussy about keeping on the lines as this adds to the effect, then adhered them in a random pattern to my card panel before sponging with a soft brown ink over the whole piece...

Next step was to remove the masks and stamp the pencil with Memento ink roughly on or in the space left by the mask, for the best effect you need to try and get some more off-set than others..

Then, having experimented on a scrap piece of card with how much colour to add, I used the chisel end of my Promarkers to colour the pencils... that was the best bit :)

I chopped the finished piece into two so I could make a second card... each was matted onto black card and uses a sentiment from the same set :)


I love this chubby pencil image and there are quite a few images in this set that would work well for this technique ... plus it's at a bargain price in the sale *wink* :)
                                                            Just A Note

Thanks for stopping by :)
Jenny x


5 comments:

Kate said...

Love, love, love what you did with this Jenny. I am also completely made-up that my card inspired yours. Like you say, there are lots of line-image stamps that will work with this technique. I am thinking flowers, cupcakes, stars, little figures, animals. Anything without too complex an outline looks great.

Sarah G said...

I love Kate's card and your design is gorgeous too, Jenny! Must try some offset masking - it is such a cool look :)

Keren Baker said...

This is just gorgeous! x

Keren Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craftychris said...

Really cool! xxx