Saturday 7 March 2015

Stamping with Markers-to-Stamp Technique + Watercolor Effect

Hello fellow crafters! I hope you are well and have some time to be creative. Today's card is using one of my favorite Mama Elephant stamp sets.

I don't even recall when I saw this technique first: someone took their markers (Distress, Memento, Stampin Up) directly to the stamp and was able to use different colors on a complex image. I never had luck with it – the impressions I got were never crisp and of the quality I liked, so I forgot about the technique again. Recently, I wondered: so what if it's not perfect. If I use Distress Markers, I can reactivate them with water. So, I gave it another go and look where it got me:


Of course, you could also mask parts of your stamp and then ink it up individually and achieve a similar result, but a) I am too lazy and b) I really wanted to see if I could create a watercolor look despite stamping. And I'm happy to report: yes, I could make it work.

The original stamped image looked blotchy and not very crips – no surprises there, as the Distress Markers/Inks are not made for stamping. But with some water, they turned out beautifully – I guess if you give this card to someone who's not familiar with crafting, you might sell them on the idea you drew the elements ;)


I added some blue stickles and splashes of gold spray to sparkle up the card, then stamped the sentiment and mounted it. All done. Not a lot to this card, but it looks rather pretty, doesn't it?

Thanks for stopping by! And if you want to see a video of how I created these effects, hop on over to my blog. You'll find the link in the sidebar.

If any of the products I used for this project are not available in the store, I'm offering alternatives in the product listing below.

No comments: